Haryana Facts and GK Points: If you are looking for the info of Haryana, the land where the war of Mahabharata was fought, then you are at the right place. In this article, I have updated some significant general knowledge points and facts of Haryana that will be crucial for the Haryana teacher eligibility test and other state govt jobs.
It means “Forest land of Hari“.
Haryana is the 20th state of India in terms of its area. It is covered by the other five states which are Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan. The river Yamuna makes the river between Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. It is the second-highest per capita income state in India.
Key Points and Facts of Haryana
|Formation||The formation date of Haryana is 1 November 1966|
|Area||The total area of Haryana is 44,210 square km.|
|Climate||Very hot in summer and markedly cold in winter|
|Population||25,353,000. 17th largest populated state in India.|
|Population Density||573 per square km.|
|Sex Ratio||879 females per 1000 males. The poorest sex ratio among all the states in India.|
|Literacy||The literacy rate of this state is 68 percent which is a good record.|
|Official Language||Hindi. [English and Punjabi are additional languages]|
|Chief Minister||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|Governor||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
|No of District||22 [Smallest district – Panchkula, Largest district – Sirsa]|
|Capital||Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana.|
|Largest City||Faridabad is the largest city of Haryana.|
|Airports||Karnal Airport, |
Chandigarh International Airport
|GDP||USD 120 billion|
|Legislature||Unicameral (90 seats)|
|Lok Sabha Seat||Rajya Sabha 5|
|State Bird||Black francolin|
|Known For/As||The Home of Gods|
|Famous Personalities||Vijender Singh (Boxing), Kapil Dev (Cricket), Virender Sehwag, Sushma Swaraj, Aravind Kejriwal, Kalpana Chawla, Baba Ramdev.|
|Famous dance||Ras Leela, Phag or Phalgun Dance, Loor Folk dances, Daph dance, Gugga dance, Khoria Dance, Holi Dance, Gangor Puja, Chathi Dance, Teej Dance, Faag Dance.|
|Famous Festivals||Holi, Diwali, Lohri, Basant Panchami, Gangore, Baisakhi, Teej, Haryana Day, Pinjore Heritage Festival, Gugga Naumi, Surajkund, Sohna Car Rally and Kartik Cultural Festival.|
|Famous Temples||Bhima Devi temple, Agro Dham, Bhadrakali Temple, Chandi mandir, Birla Temple of Kurukshetra,|
|Important Tribes||There are no Scheduled Tribes in Haryana.|
|Important Rivers||Yamuna, Krishnavati, Choutang, Markanda, Ghaggar, Tangri, Dohan, Sahibi, etc.|
|Mountains or Hills||Dhosi Hill, Karoh Peak, Morni hill, Tosham Hill range|
|Highest Peak||Karoh Peak is the highest peak of Morni Hill.|
|Important Dams||Ottu Barrage in Sirsa, Barrage at Jalbehra in Kurukshetra, Hamidpur Check Dam, Norana Check Dam, Hathnikund Barrage and Masani dam.|
|Important Power plants||+ Panipat Thermal Power Station I & II, Panipat|
+ Deen Bandhu Chhotu Ram Thermal Power Project,
+ Rajiv Gandhi Thermal Power Station, Khedar, Hissar
+ Indira Gandhi Super Thermal Power Project, Jhajjar
+ WYC Hydro Electric Station, Yamuna Nagar
|Industries||Automotive, Agro-Based, Food Processing, Allied Industry, IT, textiles, oil refining, biotechnology and petrochemicals.|
|Minerals||China clay, limestone, quartz/silica sand, Copper, Garnet, beryllium, Arsenopyrite, etc|
|Agriculture||Wheat, rice, sugarcane, cotton, oilseeds, gram, barley, corn, millet, etc.|
|Lakes||Brahma Sarovar, Sannihit Sarovar, Surajkund, Tilyar Lake, Badkhal Lake, Blue Bird Lake, Karna Lake, Damdama Lake, etc.|
|National Parks||+ Sultanpur National Park|
+ Kalesar National Park,
+ Bhindawas Wildlife Sanctuary,
+ Saraswati Wildlife Sanctuary,
+ Abubshahar Wildlife Sanctuary,
+ Khol Hi-Raitan Wildlife Sanctuary.
Some Considerable Points on Haryana.
- A number of famous persons such as Kapil dev, Juhi Chawla, Baba Ram Dev, Kalpana Chawla belong to this state.
- The southwest part of Indus valley civilization was situated in this state. The Bharata dynasty expanded his kingdom in the history of Vedic age.
- Hemu defeated the Delhi sultanate, Akbar, in the first war of Panipat in 1556. In the second war of Panipat, Akbar defeated again Hemu and recuperate the Delhi Sultanate as a Mughal Empire.
- Haryana is the second-largest producer of food grains after Punjab in India. Yamunanagar has Asia’s largest paper mill.
- In Haryana, Ambala is the largest manufacturer of scientific apparatuses. It is acquainted with the ‘Science City’ of Haryana.
- Maximum number of people from Haryana is serving in the Indian army. The first state in India to fulfill complete rural electrification areas.
- The handlooms and carpets from Panipat are famous in the world.
- A large number of Livestock farms are available here.
- Haryana is also familiar with the name of Battle Hub, Land of Soldiers, Land of champions, Agricultural Hub, etc.
That’s it for now. These are the key point for those who are preparing for UPSC Civil service examination and those who belong to Haryana state.
- Official website of Haryana::>> haryana.gov.in
Basic GK from Haryana PDF
<< Read More States of India >>